Asphalt milling is a process that involves the controlled removal of a layer of existing pavement layer to correct issues and/or adjust the surface to a desired profile. The technique may be used to adjust the pavement’s depth, thickness or slope. The machine basically grinds down the pavement, with the removed particles taken to an asphalt plant to be recycled and used to manufacture new asphalt.
Milling – Applications
Asphalt contractors may use a milling machine for a variety of applications. The most common include:
• Edge milling when installing asphalt overlays.
• Removing existing asphalt to access the pavement base.
• Correcting drainage issues prior to installing an overlay.
• Full-depth removal of the asphalt and (if necessary) the existing sub-base and base.
• Refining transitional areas, such as where separate pavements meet, to make the transition less jarring for traffic.
Asphalt milling offers a number of benefits, such as:
• Can be repeated in the same location whenever needed.
• Less expensive than reconstructing the pavement.
• Traffic is disrupted much less during milling than during a remove-and-replace procedure, and the milled area can be opened to traffic immediately upon completion of the milling process.
• Existing grades and curb reveals can be maintained.
• Can improve surface drainage, which can help protect the pavement while improving the quality of the surface’s “drivability.”
• The process can remove surface imperfections, such as ruts or bumps in the pavement.
• Environmentally friendly — the particles produced through the process are completely recyclable, which helps reduce the need to manufacture “virgin” asphalt.
• Removing pavement with a machine is normally much faster than traditional methods requiring excavators and front-end loaders, which can save the customer both time and money.
Milling machines are available in a variety of sizes. The thickness and the scope of the project are the two primary factors evaluated in determining the best milling machine for a project.
Dirtworks is a full-service asphalt pavement contractor providing services to commercial and residential customers throughout the Cape Cod area. We also provide a wide range of excavation services, snow removal, demolition and site work. We are locally owned and operated, and we have more than 20 years of experience providing outstanding results at competitive rates. Submit our online form to request a free estimate, or call us at 508-240-5541 about Cape Cod Milling to discuss in more detail.