Reclamation and Fine Grading
Full-depth reclamation, or FDR, is also known as “rubblizing” asphalt. It is an alternative to a complete remove-and-replace process for pavement that has become too damaged to preserve or repair. FDR is considered a cost-effective solution for rehabilitating asphalt pavement that has deteriorated, cracked or become destabilized so badly that it cannot be saved.
The definition of FDR, according to the Asphalt Recycling and Reclaiming Association, or ARRA, is, “a pavement rehabilitation technique in which the full flexible pavement section and a pre-determined portion of the underlying materials are uniformly crushed, pulverized or blended, resulting in a stabilized base course.” ARRA differentiates FDR from other techniques, such as in-place recycling, by adding that with FDR, the cutting head or rotor always goes completely through the pavement and into the sub-grade layers, base or sub-base.
Essentially, the basics of Cape Cod Reclamation include:
• Pulverizing/grinding the pavement and the underlying layers in-place.
• Additives are introduced and mixed.
• The mixed material is shaped and compacted.
• The asphalt surface is applied and finished, normally with a roller.
The benefits of FDR include:
• Less expensive than traditional remove-and-replace.
• Trucking costs for hauling old asphalt out and new asphalt in are reduced or eliminated.
• Existing pavement cam be recycled into new, stabilized sub-base.
• By stabilizing base material, instances of reflective cracking are reduced.
• Sub-grade has improved resistance to frost penetration.
• The load-carrying capacity of pavement sections is improved.
Pavements supporting low-to-medium rates of traffic are the most common candidates for FDR. However, the process is also suitable for parking lots, light-duty airstrips and primary roads, and FDR has also been successfully used on interstates.
FDR can be an economical solution for roads that are rutted or badly cracked. It should be noted, however, that if the damages have been caused by localized base failures or drainage problems, the underlying cause needs to be corrected before beginning FDR rehabilitation.
If you would like to learn more about Cape Cod Reclamation, contact the experienced professionals at Dirtworks. We offer a wide range of asphalt and excavation services in the Cape Cod area. Whether you need a road repaired, a parking lot striped, pavement repairs or an area excavated for a new cellar, we can help. We have been offering superior work at competitive prices for more than 20 years. You can request a free, no-obligation quote about Cape Cod Reclamation by calling 508-240-5541 or submitting our online form.