Tips to Avoid Paving Scams
As a company that has been serving the Cape and Southeastern New England for over 25 years, we find it disheartening to hear of local people being scammed by non-legitimate entities offering driveway and asphalt paving, seal coating, and road work to unwitting consumers. We wanted to give you some information so you don’t find yourself in a situation where you’ve handed over your money, only to find that the work you paid for is shoddy, or not done at all. Here are some tips to avoid paving scams.
Tell-Tale Signs It’s Not the Real Deal
- One of the first signs that should make you suspicious is that an established company will
not come knocking on your door looking for work. We would never show up at your
home or business, nor would any other reputable company. We will never randomly
approach you with an unrequested estimate for a job.
- Always make sure whoever you work with gives you a contract. This is standard business
practice so both you and a contractor know exactly what is expected, what it will cost,
and that the time frame for the work to be completed is clear. A legitimate company will
always offer this.
- Prep work isn’t done, or is at the very least, shoddy and incomplete. The quality and
longevity of the end product is only as good as the foundation on which it is built. We
pride ourselves on delivering a service and product that is of the highest quality and will
last for years.
- Always do your research. A little investigative work will help you decide who you should
hire for your projects. You can check out our website, to learn all about us; the services
we provide, testimonials, and our history.
- The old adage, “If it seems too good to be true…” is a classic for a reason. If the price is
ridiculously low, be suspicious. A company like ours will always be fair and honest, and
our fees are always agreed to and transparent.
- Beware if someone will only take cash. This is a huge red flag.
- Also look for these tell-tale signs of a fly-by-night operation, like unmarked vehicles, no
business cards, and no permanent address. Run, don’t walk to the internet and find
yourself a legitimate, locally owned company. Like Dirtworks!
Dirtworks is a local, family-owned and operated business. Our clients are people in our own
community and we are committed to delivering the best service and products to everyone we
work with. We’ve been in business since 1991, and are very proud of the reputation we’ve
earned, and all the happy and satisfied customers we’ve worked with.
We don’t like to think of anyone in our community being taken advantage of. We care about the
people and businesses here, and look forward to doing all we can to provide the highest quality
services we can. We’re sharing this information so you can avoid paving scams, because no one deserves to be taken advantage of.
Keep up with Dirtworks on social media, follow us on Facebook and Instagram!
Interested in learning more about Dirtworks? Check out our list of services here.