Cost To Install An Asphalt Driveway
You would think that such a simple question should have a simple answer. Unfortunately, it is impossible to estimate the cost of installing an asphalt driveway without knowing all of the specifics.
• The exact size of the driveway and the depth of the asphalt required
• The condition of the site, such as drainage or obstacles that must be removed
• The distance of the site from the asphalt production plant and the contractor’s base of operations
• The ability to access all areas of the site with heavy equipment versus having to apply the asphalt manually
All of these factors affect the contractor’s costs for the job and therefore the price he must charge. Contractors typically categorize these expenses as material, preparation, mobilization and installation costs.
• Material costs reflect the amount of asphalt needed as well as other materials, such as sub-base materials.
• Preparation costs include charges to correct drainage issues, clear debris or build up unsuitable terrain.
• Mobilization costs reflect the cost of trucking equipment and material to the job site, such as drivers’ pay and fuel.
• Installation costs are typically based on the amount of time required to finish the job. If installation has to be performed manually, it will require more time and thus cost more.
As you see, there are many things that can affect the price of your new asphalt driveway. To offer just a few specific examples:
• A job that is 75 miles from the asphalt manufacturer will cost more than a similar job that is 10 miles away.
• If any of the work area cannot be accessed by the heavy equipment, the price will be higher than a job that requires no manual installation.
• A driveway requiring a thick layer of asphalt will be more costly than one requiring a thinner layer.
The only way to get a truly accurate estimate is to ask a blacktop contractor to visit the site before he calculates your quote. Experienced contractors can spot potential issues that might increase costs, determine the exact materials requirements to reduce waste and check for issues with the soil that may need to be corrected.
Dirtworks is a locally owned paving and excavation contractor serving Cape Cod. Owned and operated by Mike Escher, Dirtworks offers Asphalt Paving services that include everything from asphalt sealcoating, asphalt repair to parking lot striping and installing dirt driveways. We have been paving cape cod for over 20 years! You can contact us at (508) 240-5541 or ask for a free quotation.
MCE Dirtworks, Inc is the trusted asphalt paving company in Cape Cod, MA!