Can Sealcoating Take Place In The Winter
Sealcoating can be a touchy process in every season, but it can be especially difficult — if not impossible — in the winter. Most contractors in the Cape Cod area declare a moratorium on sealcoating sometime in October/November.
• Sealcoating needs air temperatures of at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit to cure properly. This means that the job cannot be started until the temperature achieves that minimum, and the temperature cannot decline over the course of the application.
• The ground temperature must also be 50 degrees or higher. Although there are exceptions, if the previous night’s low was under 40 degrees, there is little chance that the ground temperature will reach the minimum needed in time to complete the job the following day.
• The best you can hope for is to apply a single coat per day. If the job requires two or more coats, allow at least one additional day for each coat. You should also allow at least one additional day if you are having pavement markings applied. In the summer months, however, drying requires much less time, so your area could be reopened sooner.
• The sealcoating equipment that contractors use is not engineered for cold weather and could be damaged in the winter. This means that many contractors revert to traditional, labor-intensive methods if they are willing to attempt sealcoating at all during the winter months. The job could require more time, which translates into higher costs for the customers.
• Even a little water can ruin sealcoating that has not yet cured completely. Therefore, in addition to having to ensure that temperatures will be adequate, contractors also have to worry whether rain or snow will arrive during the extended time it will take to complete the job.
In most cases, it is better to ensure that all repairs are made before cold weather sets in and postpone sealcoating until spring. Winter sealcoating is simply one of those things that is not usually recommended even if it is within the realm of possibility — there are just too many things that can go wrong.
Dirtworks is a locally owned asphalt paving company providing a full range of services to customers in the Cape Cod area. We also offer excavation services and site work. With more than 20 years of experience, we have the skills and training to provide you with exceptional results at affordable rates. You can receive a free quote by completing our online form or calling 508-240-5541.