Which is better — Concrete or Asphalt?
The short answer is that asphalt is a superior pavement material for most applications. Since concrete has many loyal supporters, however, it is necessary to offer the facts that demonstrate asphalt’s superiority.
1. The initial installation of asphalt pavement can be done more quickly and at a lower cost than concrete pavement of a comparable size.
2. Both asphalt and concrete pavements will occasionally need repairs. However, repairs to asphalt pavement can be made faster, which means that the area can be reopened to traffic sooner. In addition to asphalt repairs proving less disruptive, they are also less costly.
3. Asphalt is less prone to damage from cold weather. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles can play havoc with concrete pavement. Asphalt is much more flexible, and if it is repaired when needed, it proves to be less susceptible to damages caused by frequent freezing and thawing of the ground.
4. Asphalt is a “green” material. Every bit of asphalt pavement (even the smallest scrap) can be recycled, reducing the need to use “virgin” materials to make new paving materials. In the United States, there are more tons of asphalt recycled annually than any other type of material.
5. Asphalt is safe for the environment. It is insoluble in water, and it does not leak chemicals into water or the soil. Asphalt is so safe that it is widely used as a liner in fish hatcheries, hazardous-waste landfills and municipal reservoirs.
6. The lustrous black color of asphalt makes stains less obvious than they are on concrete. Virtually all asphalt pavement will suffer from vehicular traffic; there will be oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission fluid leaks and so on. These liquids make very noticeable, unsightly stains on concrete.
7. Asphalt pavement that does not receive heavy traffic, is maintained properly and was installed correctly should have a life of at least 25 years. The actual life may be far longer. There are stretches of the interstate system that were paved with asphalt in the 1950s and are still in use, having never experienced any type of significant problem.
If you need a full-service paving contractor and excavation company in the Cape Cod area, contact Dirtworks, Inc. We are a locally owned and operated company with over 20 years of industry experience. We offer an extensive list of asphalt services, including sealcoating, asphalt repairs and parking lot painting as well as excavation services, such as septic system installations. Use our convenient online form to request a free estimate, or call us at (508) 240-5541.
Dirtworks..the premier Cape Cod paving company…we look forward to serving you!