Why is safety important when hiring an asphalt contractor?
You might not realize it, but there is a direct correlation between an asphalt paving companies commitment to safety and the results that customers receive.
1. It is human nature to want to feel valued. Employees who know that an employer values them enough to provide a safe work environment respond by being more productive, paying more attention to quality and not cutting corners.
2. Employees who feel that they are being forced to work in an unsafe environment are more likely to call in, quit without notice or deliberately work slower. All these things can cost the contractor money, whether it is due to having to pay overtime to other workers to meet a work schedule, constantly having to train new employees or being able to complete fewer jobs. Asphalt contractors have to make a profit to stay in business, so these costs are reflected in higher rates.
3. Safety is a “viral” attitude. When employers emphasize safety, employees are more likely to voluntarily extend their “work safe” attitude to include others, such as your customers or employees, and take appropriate steps to protect them.
4. Contractors with poor safety records pay higher premiums for workers’ compensation insurance. These higher premiums are passed on the customers in the form of higher rates.
5. When a worker is injured on the job, the site can be disrupted and work delayed while the injured employee is treated. The work may fall behind schedule if there is no one to fill in for the injured employee, or a substitute may have to take his place who has less experience or fewer skills.
6. Safety conscious workers are more likely to maintain a neat, orderly worksite and to clean up after themselves when the job is complete. They understand the need to avoid tripping hazards, slip-and-fall risks and trash that can cover a concealed hazard. They have a “clean as you go” attitude that makes the site safer and less messy.
At Dirtworks, we are committed to operating safe worksites, because we care about our employees, our customers and our customers’ employees and clients. We are an excavation and asphalt paving company with more than two decades of experience in providing quality results to our customers in the Cape Cod area. Whether you need asphalt paving installed, a septic system repaired, parking lot striping, or asphalt driveway maintenance, we can help. Use our online form to request a free quote, or call us at 508-240-5541.