What Makes a Good Asphalt Paving Driveway?
Asphalt is an excellent choice for driveways of all lengths and configurations. It is durable and environmentally friendly, and it is economical to install, repair and maintain. However, the visual appeal and life expectancy of an asphalt driveway rely heavily on proper installation techniques and professional maintenance.
What Makes a Good Asphalt Paving Driveway?
What Steps Should an Asphalt Paving Company Take to Ensure a Proper Installation?
Not every asphalt company is the same. Within the industry, you will find contractors with different levels of experience, integrity and skills. The following steps are those that reputable driveway paving contractors will take to ensure that your new pavement will meet or exceed your expectations.
1. Whether architects are designing a small home or a skyscraper, they know that the foundation is critical. Contractors who perform driveway paving also recognize the importance of a solid foundation. The strength of the foundation has a direct impact on the pavement’s ability to resist cracking, buckling and sagging. If your soil has a lot of clay or is otherwise insufficient, your contractor can excavate or amend the poor soil before installing a stone or gravel base.
2. It might sound strange, but water is a formidable enemy of asphalt pavement. Therefore, it is critical that your driveway has the proper slope to ensure that water will not pool on top of your pavement. Water can reach the foundation and undermine its strength, and even surface water can cause cracks if it is allowed to freeze on top of the pavement. A reputable asphalt paving company pays close attention to the grade and slope of the ground before they begin installing the asphalt.
3. The choice of materials is extremely important. Some driveway paving contractors choose the wrong asphalt mixes for the job. Perhaps the price was too attractive to ignore, or perhaps they found that their lack of planning meant that the plant was out of the right mix. Whatever the reason, they may use a coarse mix intended for highways to install a driveway, resulting in a rougher pavement that is less attractive, or accept another type of mix that is unsuitable for driveways.
4. Even if all of the previous steps are followed, the job can still be inferior if the contractor does not practice proper construction techniques. Compaction is critical, especially at joints and along the edges. As the mix cools, it becomes more difficult or even impossible to compact. Therefore, the contractor must ensure that he has an adequate crew and the proper equipment available to work the asphalt while it is hot.
What Maintenance Is Needed for Asphalt Driveways?
A correctly installed asphalt driveway that receives professional maintenance should provide many years of beautiful use. Routine maintenance is easy, fast and economical.
1. Keep your driveway clean. Do not allow piles of dead leaves to remain on the pavement for extended periods. At least once a year, clean any stains left by oil or other fluids that vehicles have leaked on your driveway.
2. Inspect your driveway periodically for cracks or other damage. If you find damage, have it repaired as soon as possible.
3. Have sealcoating professionally applied during the first year of your pavement’s life. Fresh sealcoating will need to be applied periodically, so ask the asphalt company that installed your driveway to recommend an appropriate schedule.
At Dirtworks, we deliver high-quality paving work to residential and commercial customers throughout Cape Cod and Southeastern Massachusetts. Our services include driveway paving, asphalt repairs, asphalt milling, sealcoating, asphalt reclamation, commercial paving and parking lot striping. We also offer a full line of site work and excavation services, dirt road repair and snow removal. Our clients include homeowners, apartment complexes, educational facilities, religious institutions, hotels, hospitals and health care facilities, subdivisions, homeowner associations, municipalities and counties, condominium boards, office buildings and commercial property management firms. We are known for our exceptional workmanship and our commitment to customer satisfaction. If you are interested in a free quote, call 508-240-5541 or submit the online request form.
Areas We Service
Wareham, MA, Plymouth, MA, Eastham, MA, Orleans, MA, Chatham, MA, Yarmouth, MA, Barnstable, MA, Provincetown, MA, Dennis, MA, Osterville, MA, Truro, MA, Sandwich, MA Bourne, MA, Wellfleet, MA, Falmouth, MA, Brewster, MA, Harwich, MA, Mashpee, MA Hyannis, MA